Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fibromyalgia - real or imagined

It doesn't take the Mom of a teenager with fibromyalgia very long to feel her blood pressure rise when she hears someone say that fibromyalgia is just another imaginary illness.

Really?

Let me simply say that this redheaded Mom not only has the redhead gene, but the high blood pressure button as well, and when I hear comments suggesting that fibromyalgia is not a real disease, it takes every bit of my energy to not jump down the throat of the person making such an insensitive and uninformed comment.

Fibromyalgia is not imaginary. It's real. It's painful. I have watched it. Thankfully, I have not experienced it, but my daughter has and does. Every day. Every hour. Every minute.

More and more teenagers are being accurately diagnosed, but often not soon enough for them to complete their high school education in a normal way. This recent article about Liz Harrison, another teenager distraught because she knew something was wrong but couldn't figure out what it was, is almost a mirror-image of my daughter's experience: (http://www.gazette.com/articles/school-57435-harrison-high.html )

TeenFibro is real. It can be managed. Now let's find a better treatment and a cure.

daufg2zkym

No comments:

Post a Comment