Sunday, July 19, 2009

Yes, I can do that.

Giving yourself permission is a key factor in living a full, non-guilty stress free life with fibromyalgia. Once again Adrian Dellwo shares timely insights in her column on About.com through comments made by others who also have fibro.

I have watched my daughter struggle to keep up, not because she doesn't have the will, or the energy, or the capacity, but because she has the limitations of fibromyalgia. We recently discussed the need for her to think ahead and manage her time and energy wisely. She can do anything she wants, she just can't do it all at once like some others can.

Giving yourself permission is not just about say yes, it's also about saying no. YES, I would love to do that, but NO, I can't do it today. No, I can't walk for three hours, but yes I would love to meet you 1/2 way and walk back. Yes, I can help with the fundraiser, but no I won't be able to stay all day.

You get the idea.

Life with fibromyalgia is about your choices, your decisions, your self-imposed parameters. Don't ever hesitate to take charge and tell yourself no, or even better, yes!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! In my opinion this is the most difficult aspect of Fibro--finding the balance in life. It's especially difficult as a young person, we always want to do things our peers are doing, yet realistically we sometimes can't. Not only is it difficult to figure out our limitations, but it's difficult actually taking charge and saying no.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete